The last year and a half has been challenging. One of the hurdles I keep hearing from our customers are dental staffing issues. Employees quit, were laid off, or moved to another state. And as many other businesses these days, they are having a hard time hiring new employees.
According to an ADA poll, a third of dental practices were hiring dental assistants and a quarter were hiring dental hygienists.
As the dental world gets back on its feet, it’s important that you spend some time on team building to avoid high turnover rates. A lot of businesses are hiring now and according to SmallBizGenius, 79 percent of workers say company culture is a crucial factor.
With that in mind, we came up with some fun ideas to build up your team and help them connect in a non-work environment. When work gets stressful, those moments together will help your team push forward, and not give up on one another.
Indoor Team Building Activities to Avoid Dental Staffing Issues
- Go bowling! It is a great indoor activity where you can cheer each other on, have snacks and drinks, and enjoy your time together.
- Glow in the dark mini-golf. Break up in random teams and see who comes out on top.
- Indoor rock climbing. This takes the mind off work, especially for those scared of heights.
- Laser tag. Some may view this as a kid’s activity, but it is sooo much fun. Make two teams and blast each other away while getting in your cardio.
- Axe throwing! You will surprise yourself how good your arm is.
- Indoor skydiving. This one is a bit higher up on the price scale but is so worth it. Try it at least once. You will love having photos of your co-workers with their cheeks flapping.
- Movie. Load up on drinks, popcorn, snacks in a nice, cool theater with recliner seats and watch a blockbuster together.
- Trampoline park. Talk about burning calories!
- Ice-cream social. Everyone loves a good dessert.
- Ice skating or roller skating. If you’re somewhere hot, this is a special treat in summer.
- If you are still working remote, set up a zoom call and do a round of Pictionary. You can make people chat in the answer. Be sure to pick a moderator.
Outdoor Team Building Activities
- Archery. Our team did an archery lesson and had a mini competition in groups of three.
- Outdoor minigolf. This is a terrific way to get in some leisurely chats with teammates you may not normally socialize with.
- Park picnic. I do not know anyone who does not like food and drink. Take some to the park with a deck of cards or a board game and just relax.
- Paddle boat or motorboat at the lake. You do not have to swim to enjoy being on the lake! Go fishing, take turns driving the boat and soak in the fresh air.
- Paint ball! Gear up and go to town with your team against another group or split up amongst yourselves.
- Food truck festival. You do not have to stay for hours to enjoy a little bonding time over a meal. Everyone can get what they want and even share some dishes together.
There are so many fun activities at various prices you can do as a team. The more team building activities you do together, the better you will work together and the better culture your business will have, leading to a more experienced team. Every business does better when there is harmony amongst all the players. Regardless of what you decide to do, do it together and make sure you split up into random groups so that everyone has a chance to socialize instead of hanging out with the person they usually talk to. Relationships are at the core of everyday life, and that is no less true for your work relationships.